Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons With Unbun
December 5, 2019 BY Unbun Foods
When you're adopting a keto or low-carb lifestyle, it often means saying goodbye to some of your most cherished comfort foods, especially in the winter.
Having Unbuns or Unbaguettes on hand can make it easy to quickly whip up a warm wintery meal, that is both comforting and healthy. We love the simplicity of a perfectly crafted grilled cheese and classic tomato soup.
- 3-4 pounds of Roma tomatoes cut in half
- 8-10 cloves of peeled garlic, smashed
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- A generous sprinkling of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 yellow onions, chopped into quarters
Grilled Cheese Croutons:
- Unbun Foods Original Keto Buns, Vegan Keto Buns or Keto Mini Baguettes
- 1-2 tablespoons butter or Ghee
- Aged Cheddar, Smoked Gouda or any melting cheese you’d like
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Combine halved tomatoes, chopped onions and whole smashed garlic cloves in a glass baking dish or parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle and toss with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes...it should start to smell amazing!
Take your roasted mixture out of the oven and let cool for about 20 minutes before blending.
Once your tomatoes have cooled a bit, add in any herbs and spices and blend until smooth.
Optional add-ins: fresh basil leaves, fresh chives, dried oregano, 1 cup of bone broth, parmesan cheese
- Slice Unbun Foods Keto Bun in half
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter
- Place both halves of Keto Bun onto the heated skillet, crisping both sides of the bun
- Top one side of the bun with cheese and place the other half of the bun on top pressing down with a spatula
- Cook until both sides are golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Cut into Crouton sized cubes and enjoy on top of tomato soup or your favorite soup